Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Sign Language

Hi everyone!!!
 
I am pretty short on time today, so this email is going to be short as well. Sorry! 
 
I hope you all loved conference as much as I did! One of the big themes was missionary work, so of course we liked that. My companion and I also liked how much of the conference was about the pure and simple doctrine of Christ, especially repentance. Repentance was a big theme. And I really like how President Monson, President Uchtdorf, President Eyring, and President Nelson all talked about basically the same subject: how to really feel the gospel, how to find joy in living it. 
 
We visited a semi-active family this week, the daughter is 15 years old and says that she wants to serve a mission. She is deaf and can only talk in sign-language. So we did a mini question and answer session. She asked us all her questions about missionary work, and her mom translated for her. It was a really beautiful experience, partly because sign language is a really beautiful language, but mostly because the spirit was strong. Her mother told us about all the difficulties they have had having a deaf daughter, and how many people have asked her and her husband what great sin they committed that their daughter was born deaf. But just like Jesus told his apostles, neither she nor her parents committed any great sin, but she was born this way so that the power of God can be manifested in her (sorry, I don´t have the exact wording). And it may be that the power of God will be manifested when she serves a mission.
I know that God is no respecter of persons, that His love for us is infinite and enduring, and that while we may have the tendency to see only our weaknesses, He sees our strengths, and He sees the potential we truly have. 
 
That´s really all I have time for, but I still love you all! Have a wonderful week!
-Hermana Herron

No comments:

Post a Comment