Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Hola de México!

 Cleveland Airport - Ready to Go!



Hi Everyone! I made it to the CCM, Centro de Capitación Misional, in Mexico City. It is beautiful here! There are palm trees and green grass and mountains covered in colorful houses. Mexico city is full of so many sights and colors and sounds and smells. I love it here!

I only have an hour to email, so if you want to contact me mail would probably be best. My mom can get you my mailing address here. 

So, for my non-Mormon friends, LDS missionaries always have a companion with them, 24/7. My companion is Hermana Grow. She is wonderful, and we get along great. 

Ok, fun facts!
It is amazing how fast you forget your first name when you only ever go by Hermana Herron.
It is also amazing how fast you start thinking in Spanish when it's all you hear all day.
They have parrots here! Real, live, green, wild parrots!
The CCM is huge. It´s over 90 acres, so way bigger land area wise than the Provo MTC. It has the capacity for about 1200 missionaries, but because it´s winter, there are only about 250 here right now. 
We have our own little casa to live in :)

We have been studying a lot of Spanish here, and I learned something pretty interesting. In English, we use very formal words when we pray, like thee, thou, and thine, to show respect to God. In Spanish, there are two different ways to address someone as well, the formal way and the informal way. As missionaries, we are expected to use the formal form all the time, except for talking to children and when we pray. It is correct to use the more personal form when we pray because God is literally the Father of our Spirits. He is our Heavenly Father. He loves us more than we can ever comprehend. And He knows us on a very personal level. 

I´ve learned a lot these past few days about how much I´ll have to rely on the Lord as a missionary, because no amount of preparation could ever prepare me for this. On my own, I´ll be a terrible missionary. But this is the Lord´s work, and it´s not about what I can or cannot do, but what He can do, and what I´ll allow Him to do through me. 

At a devotional on Sunday, we heard a poem that I really loved. I don´t have it written down exactly, but it went something like this:
"Come to the edge," He said.
"No I´ll fall."
"Come to the edge," He said.
"No I´ll fall."
"Come to the edge," He said.
So I came to the edge.
He pushed me.
And I flew. 

I know that this is His work, and I am so excited for this opportunity to help in it!

Hasta luego!
Hermana Herron



No comments:

Post a Comment