Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Learning Spanish

Hello Everyone!

It's been another beautiful week here in the CCM in Mexico City. I absolutely love it here. I've been keeping myself very busy, and my Spanish and teaching skills and testimony and everything are slowly but surely improving.

I heard someone somewhere say something along the lines of "In order to learn a new language, you need to make a million mistakes." If that is true, then I am well on my way to becoming fluent because I have made a lot of mistakes in my Spanish already. So today, I thought I would share with you all some of my funnier mistakes, for your enjoyment. 

So here in the CCM, we spend a lot of time practicing teaching investigators. The investigators are really our teachers, so if we mess up really bad we won't ruin anyone's opportunity for salvation, but we still treat them as real as we can. Last week, my companera and I were teaching Ivan (who is really our teacher Hermano Beltran) about the Book of Mormon. We shared John 10:16 and I tried to explain that the other sheep are the people in the Book of Mormon. But instead of saying "ovejas", sheep, I said, "orejas" which means ears. That confused Ivan.
Also with Ivan, he was telling us about how his mom isn't happy that he is meeting with the missionaries. Trying to be conversational, I tried to say something along the lines of, "Oh, so she still doesn't like us?" Well, I accidently mixed up the words still and also, and I mixed up the way the word "to like" works, and I essentially said, "We don't like her either." I didn't figure out what I had actually said until during the prayer. Luckily, I was able to just laugh it off, but that was pretty embarrassing.

Yesterday, we got to hear an amazing devotional from a visiting Area authority. It was so good, and I wish I could just write the whole talk  in this email, but I'm almost out of time, so I'll just share my favorite part. Elder Salina talked about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The atonement doesn't just help us become clean of our sins, though it certainly does do that. But it also helps us be strong when we feel like we have no strength left, it helps us be courageous when we have to face our greatest fears, and it makes up the difference when we've done all we can and it still wasn't enough. the Atonement is purifying, but it is also edifying and enabling. As a missionary, when everyday it feels like I give all that I possibly can and it still isn't even close to enough, it is so comforting to know that my Savior Jesus Christ has it covered for me. 

I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that He lives today. He gave everything to me when He suffered through the Atonement, so I will give everything I can back to Him. In the end, the only thing I really can give is myself, and while it's not much, I am happy to give it.

I love you all! Have a wonderful week!
Hermana Herron

No comments:

Post a Comment