Thursday, December 17, 2015

3 Weeks Down, 3 to Go

Wow, I'm halfway through my time at the CCM. And I still can't speak Spanish....

In all honesty though, the Gift of Tongues is real. This past Monday, my companion and I did a special fast from English. We treated it like a real fast: 24 hours without speaking English, opened with prayer, ended with prayer, and did it specifically for the Gift of Tongues. I don't know if it's church doctrine that we can fast from things other than food, but whether it was a real fast or not, it was a really hard, really amazing experience. And I have been seeing the Gift of Tongues in my life. When we are in lessons, I often completely forget that we're speaking in a foreign language. It's the craziest thing.

I had the amazing opportunity this past Sunday of taking part in the Tijuana Mexico Temple dedication. For those of you who aren't members of the church, temples are very sacred buildings in which we can receive blessings and do work for our ancestors. I don't really have time to explain more, but temples are very, very special places in the church and are very important to me. They are literally the House of the Lord. So getting to take part in the dedication was very exciting for me. 

Apparently last weekend was a very important holiday for many Mexicans when they celebrate the Virgin of Guadalupe. For about 3 straight days and nights, there were fireworks going off non-stop right outside the CCM. 

Ok, quick spiritual thought. This week, one of our teachers asked us if we were speaking in Spanish throughout the day to practice, and someone answered, "mas o menos" which basically means more or less. Then our teacher shared with us Revelations 3:15-16. To paraphrase it quickly, it says that it is better to be completely hot or completely cold than to just be lukewarm. And that is especially true with the gospel. We are either all in, or we aren't. We either believe or we don't. We either serve the Lord, or we serve something else. We can't just be hanging on the fence, half in and half out, it doesn't work like that. We can't live the gospel just "mas or menos." So if you are in, make sure you are in with all your heart, might, mind, and strength.

Love you all! 
Hermana Herron

No comments:

Post a Comment