Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Year of Miracles






Hi Everyone

Well.... I am now officially super old. I have a year in the mission (is that how you say it in English? Ya no recuerdo....) I´m having trouble coming to terms with that. This has to be the fastest year of my life. My consolation is that I still have 6 months to work my hardest here in Mexico.

This week was full of miracles!

First of all, I don´t know if any of you were able to find the talk "Open your Mouths" that I mentioned last week? Well, in it he talks about an approach he uses to invite people to learn about the gospel. He just asks two questions: 1) Do you like to read? and 2) If I sent you a book about the visit of Jesus Christ here to the Americas, would you read it? Now, I´m not really a fan of set methods of contacting, but this week we saw some miracles unfold as we invited people to read the book of Mormon in our contacts. 

For example, last Monday all our appointments fell through, but we saw a young couple putting up Christmas lights and started to help them. We started trying to talk to them about how families can last forever, which is usually quite effective, but they didn´t seem to respond. So we changed tactic and started talking about the Restoration of the Gospel through the prophet Joseph Smith, which Preach my Gospel encourages to do in every contact. Still, they weren´t too interested. In fact, the wife started telling us how they were very happy in their religion, how they go to study groups every other week to read the Bible, how they really don´t want to learn about any other religion... But then we mentioned the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. We read together 3 Nephi 11:1-12, which I have done many times in lessons but never in a street contact before. And this time we had their attention. We passed by yesterday to deliver their own copy of the Book of Mormon, and they are still very interested and want to read it, and we have another appointment to go and talk with them more :)

The biggest miracle was Saturday when Edith was baptized!!! I think I only mentioned her once before in my emails. Honestly, everything moved very fast with her, and we weren´t 100% sure that she was going to be able to be baptized this weekend, but she did! And she is so so happy. Edith was a kind of special case. 5 of the 6 missionaries in my district taught her at one point or another, so the entire district came to the baptism. Also, right before her interview on Thursday, she heard me playing one of the piano solos that Kellie sent me, "Nearer my God to Thee," and we showed her the lyrics and she really liked it, so I played it again as part of baptismal program. Considering the fact that I basically haven´t practiced in a year, it wasn´t too bad. 

Also, sorry for not sending pictures for so long, I might have lost the cord to my camera, so I´m borrowing my companion´s camera right now to send you all pictures. 

These are some pics from Edith´s baptism on Saturday. The last one is a 3 generation picture of my trainer, my trainee, and me. 

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. No one here celebrates it, but that day we ate with a member who is a professional baker, so I still ate a lot of really good food :)

I love you all! Hasta luego

-Hermana Herron

No comments:

Post a Comment