Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Barrio La Aurora

Well hello world,

So quick fun fact this week, about colonias. Mexico has states, just like the U.S. Right now I am in the state of Mexico (creative name, right?), and I am still in the city of Cuautitlan Izcalli. But Mexico also has things called colonias. They´re like neighborhoods, kinda. For those of you who are familiar with the Midwest, they are kinda like townships, except they aren´t all regular sized squares. If you understand colonias it will be a lot easier to understand my new area. 

I am in Barrio La Aurora now, and wow. I´m about 10 minutes away from my last area, Mira Azul, but it is a lot different here. Mira Azul was a little area, with only one colonia, Cumbria. La Aurora has... I don´t know how many colonias we have here, but it´s a lot. None of them are as big as Cumbria, but this area is still a lot bigger than I´m used to. It´s also a lot poorer than Cumbria. And all of the colonias are different. We have one colonia that actually looks a lot like Cumbria, so I feel pretty comfortable there. We have another colonia that is out in the campo. It is very poor and a lot more farmy. The kind of place where you go to a house and the chicken coop is almost as big as the actual house. We have another colonia that is very nice gated community. We aren´t allowed to proselyte or make street contacts there or we´ll get kicked out. We have another one where we aren´t allowed to be out in that colonia past 6 pm, because it´s a little more dangerous. And then we have a colonia that is more like how I imagined Mexico would be. That´s where we live.

My compaƱera is Hermana Rito. She is also from Oaxaca, Mexico, like Hermana Gonzalez, and she also has one transfer more than me, like Hermana Loyola, which, with my 6 weeks in the CCM, means she only has 2 weeks more time in the mission than me. Her birthday also happens to be exactly two weeks before mine, so that´s cool too.

Sorry I don´t have time to tell you all more about my area and the people here. I´ll make sure and tell you all next week. And I´ll try to include more pictures next week.

In the mean time, I want you all to consider this question: Am I personally converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ?

I´ve heard it said that Testimony is to know and to declare, Conversion is to do and become. It´s a big difference, and my personal conversion is something that I´ve been pondering on a lot lately. 

Love you all! ¡Cuidense mucho!
-Hermana Herron

No comments:

Post a Comment