Tuesday, January 19, 2016

First week of church

Hey everyone!

Well, it´s only been three days, so not much has happened since the last time I wrote. Except for yesterday, I finally got to attend church with my new ward. My first Sunday here was Stake Conference, so yesterday was my first sacrament meeting actually with my ward. I´m lucky too, the ward here seems really really great. I was a little worried at first when we walked in at 7:55 (Church here starts at 8 am. I don´t want to hear any complaining about 9 am church from any of you ever again) and no one was there. But everyone showed up before too long. I didn´t understand a lot of what everyone was saying during church, but the Spirit was still strong and it was still a really refreshing experience for me. As was the sacrament. The sacrament is always a really refreshing and spiritually-uplifting experience for me, and I really needed it this week.

Because I went so long between normal church and between Pdays, my first two weeks in the field felt more like one really long week. I keep hearing that the first few weeks in the field are the hardest and that after this the time will just fly by though. 

Mexican fun fact of the week: They don´t really have speed limits posted here. They have speed bumps. So really, the speed limit is however fast you can get in between speed bumps. And believe me, that can still be pretty fast sometimes, it doesn´t matter how close the speed bumps are. Honestly though, this speed bump thing seems pretty effective. At least more effective than any kind of sign with a number on it, which I´m sure everyone would just ignore.

And Spanish tongue-twister of the week: Tres tristes tigres tragaban trigo en un trigal. En un trigal tragaban trigo tres tristes tigres. It literally means three sad tigers were swallowing wheat in a wheat field. 

The picture is me and Hermana Gonzalez with the rest of our district and our treat for Three Kings day, which is a big holiday down here in early January. The ring of bread has a little baby Jesus in it, and whoever finds Jesus in their piece has to make tamales for everyone else in February. 

This past week I have really learned a lot about prayer. After going around all day not really understanding anyone or anything, it is always really exciting to kneel down and talk my heart out to Someone who understands me and my languages and all my feelings and desires perfectly. I have really been relying a lot more on my Heavenly Father through prayer. I hope all of you will take the opportunity to pray to your Heavenly Father like you´re talking to a friend, or to your dad, because that is truly what He is, your best friend and your Father. I know that He is always there for us and always loves us more than we can imagine. 

Love you all!
Hermana Herron

No comments:

Post a Comment