Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Happy Pi Day


Just a quick reminder from your misionera/math major to eat some pie today. Pie isn´t really a thing in Mexico, so I probably won´t be able to, which is sad but I suppose I´ll live. They do have pie in some places, but it´s not really the same, and the spell it "pay" which I think is funny.

Anyways, I hope you are all doing well. This week was a little hard for Hermana Gonzalez and I. We had a lot of canceled appointments. Every day was like a Saturday. The Missionary Manual says that we should spend as much time as possible proselyting Saturdays and Sundays because it is a good time to find families together at home, but that´s a lie. We can never find anyone at home on Saturdays or Sundays, and this week, every day was like that. But we still managed to have some success and some really good lessons. 

I want to tell you all about just one lesson in particular. It was with an investigator named Patricia. She is super happy and spirited and always wearing about 6 inch heels. For her work she designs children´s clothes. She is always fun to visit. Anyways, this week we had a lesson with her in which we introduced her to the Book of Mormon. And she accepted it so well right off the bat! It was amazing! We would say something like "The Book of Mormon is scripture like the Bible," And instead of asking why we need more, like most people, she would get all excited. We talked about how the Book of Mormon describes Christ´s visit to the Americas and she said,  "I always thought He came here too." It was so exciting to be there in that lesson, seeing someone I love discover for the first time a book that I love so much. I know it´s true, and I´m so happy she is willing to accept it, and I´m so excited for her to come to love The Book of Mormon as much as I do. 

One last thought, which is actually a scripture from the Book of Mormon. It´s one of my favorites, Alma 37:6-7.

 6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

 7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.

I don´t know what God was thinking when He formed His army, the hope of Israel, out of a bunch of 18, 19, 20, 21-year-olds. But I suppose He knows something that I don´t. Every day I´m reminded of my weaknesses and of how small, simple, and weak I am. But then I´m reminded that this isn´t really my work, it´s His. It´s not really about me, it´s about Him. And it´s not my strength that this area needs, but His. I just feel so blessed that I get a front row seat to see the "great things" He is doing here.

Love you all! Have a great week

Hermana Herron

No comments:

Post a Comment